Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Love the Orbeez

We went to an evening function at Jocie's school last year and they ahd these neat gooey balls they were calling 'fish eyes' (it was a water theme night). They were so much fun! Jocie was hesitant to touch them at first, but once she did, she couldn't get enough. They told us they had ordered them through a catalog but no one could remember where. Since then I have been on the hunt (shoot I like them as much as the kids do!). I did find some of these in a special needs catalog, but they only came in clear and were really more than I wanted pay so I put off ordering. Then we saw the add on TV for Orbeez- same things, more colors and AT THE STORE! No need to order online! And of course, I kept forgetting to look for them when I was at the store- until a few nights ago. I thought about it while shopping and went to look. I was in luck- only ONE package left, but that is all I NEEDED! it was OURS!

I got home and could not wait to get the info I needed on making them so that we could make them first thing in the morning. I knew that it would take time to 'grow' them and that the kiddos would be anxious to get their hands into them. What better day than today! We had a couple of appointments in the morning so we could start them before we left and they would be ready when we got back home. PERFECT!

When we got back home it was time to PLAY! We made a little of each color and I divided them up between Jocie and Mew. They were so excited! They both started out putting them into the little racks that came with the set. 
 

Mew LOVED that because it was like his favorite thing, LINING them up! I liked that part for him because it was great practice for him using those fine motor skills! He had trouble handling them at first, but got the hang of it as he went along. 


Jocie preferred to just put her hands into the containers and swirl them around. She would take small handfuls out and look at them. She would try to find the smallest ones and then the largest ones. She was loving them! They were great for her to play with and work on getting comfortable with things that are 'wet'- something she has trouble with often. 

When we were done playing we put them up on the counter with the lids on to keep the cats out of them(NOT GOOD FOR ANIMALS!!!!) and through out the day, Jocie kept going back in to touch them. Mew would soon be behind her following suit. They are already looking forward to playing with them again tomorrow. The best thing about them, they hold water for a while and if they dry out, you just add them to water and grow them again! We LOVE reusable fun!!!

No comments: