Saturday, June 23, 2012

Calming sensory bottles

I have seen this idea all over the internet over the last year or so. Always meant to make them, but kept forgetting to get supplies. Finally we got to them! they are Jocie's Favorite things!! She even takes hers to bed with her! (I take them out after she is asleep just incase they decide to leak!) She calls them her 'sush bottles'- I just call them neat :) Mew, he liked them for a few minutes and then didn't care too much.

The first ones I made in soda bottles we cleaned out. I poured in a little bit of HOT water and added about half a bottle of clear elmer's glue. Then I added some fine glitter- liked it so much we used the whole container! Mew's was blue, Jocie's was Pink. I topped them off with more hot water, letting it run slowly at the top to get rid of bubbles and air and make the top as full and smooth as possible. After drying the top and the lids, I put super glue on the caps and twisted them on. Once I let them dry for a few minutes I checked for leaks and made sure the caps were not coming off (at least not easily)

Although Jocie LOVED her bottle, I really wanted it to be easier for her to carry around and take longer for the glitter to settle. We found a thinner bottle at the store (from like a flavored water drink) and it really was a great fit for her hands so I picked it up. This time we added more glue (about 3/4 of the bottle - we were also putting it in a slightly smaller bottle so it was a much larger percentage of glue) .  I also added some glitter glue to thicken it even more (I had seen this on a few sites- I got the only glitter glue I found at the craft store and thought it was too thick, but tried it anyway- um, yep- too thick- it left sort of globs in there- some of it melted in with the hot water, but not all of it- OH well- sort of looks cool with little multi-colored blobs popping up once in a while hahaha) 
This time the glitter makes more distinct swirls when we shake it up and it takes a lot longer to settle back to the bottom. Jocie LOVES this one more than the first. She especially loves the multi-colored glitter. It really gives it a great sparkle!


No comments: